OUR COUNSELING APPROACH
In today’s world, often frustrating and complex, the abundant life may seem impossible. Christian Care & Counseling of First Baptist Church is committed to helping individuals overcome life’s obstacles and achieve the “abundance of life” that Christ desires for each of us. Our counseling approach is a Christ-centered perspective where individual needs are addressed in a safe and compassionate setting. It is our belief that life’s challenges often involve spiritual battles; as such, interventions based on Biblical truths are the foundation of our care.
- “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.”
– 2 Timothy 3:16
- “For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother’s womb.”
– Psalm 139:9
- “The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in Him.”
– Nahum 1:7
- “Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”
– Psalm 119:105
- Adult Individual Counseling – Personal and spiritual growth, coping with depression, anxiety, grief, stress, handling difficult relationships
- Premarital Counseling – Marriage preparation, understanding a covenant relationship, personality assessments, exploring family of origin backgrounds, building communication skills and financial planning
- Marriage Counseling – Communication, conflict resolution, emotional and sexual intimacy, infidelity recovery, handling crisis, dealing with financial issues
- Family Counseling – Building effective communication, developing parenting skills, adjusting to life changes, relationships between family members, child & adolescent behavioral issues
- Group Sessions – Rotating group sessions are offered. For more information on session times and topics, contact the counseling office at 423-307-5652.
- Rachel (Beth) Greene – Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Counseling from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Licensed Professional Counselor with the State of Tennessee, Board Certified Professional Christian Counselor with the Board of Christian Professional and Pastoral Counselors.
- Lynn Hicks – Diploma in Christian Counseling from Richmont Graduate University, Master’s in Community Counseling from Georgia State University, Licensed Professional Counselor and Licensed Psychological Examiner with the State of Tennessee.
- Jane Joyce – Master’s in Mental Health and Behavioral Counseling from Carson-Newman University, Education Specialist in Counseling and Education Collaboration from Carson-Newman University. Licensed Professional Counselor, Mental Health Service Provider with the state of Tennessee.
- Gary Maas – Master of Education in Marriage and Family Counseling from East Tennessee State University, Education Specialist in School of Psychology from University of Tennessee, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with the State of Tennessee, Certified in Moral Reconation Therapy.
- Kathy Gibson – Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health. Currently under supervision for Licensed Professional Counselor credential with the state of Tennessee.
SCHEDULING AN APPOINTMENT
- Our Staff consists of Licensed Professional Counselors who provide their services on a part-time basis at First Baptist Church.
- To schedule an appointment or request more information, you may contact our voice-mail system: (423)307-5652 or you may contact the church office: (423)586-0522.
- For confidentiality purposes, provide your name and contact information only. All other information can be discussed in conversation with a counselor, who will return your call to answer questions, discuss needs and provide information on appointment availability.
- Once your appointment has been scheduled, you may download, print, and complete the “Confidential Information Form” or you may request the form to be mailed to you. Please bring the completed form to your first session.
- Familiarize yourself with Our Policy before attending your first session.
It is our desire to provide professional counseling at an affordable cost to members as well as non-members of First Baptist Church; as such, we offer a sliding-fee based on gross annual income. We do not accept insurance.